Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Funk

I find myself gravitating towards writing to the small business owner. Today I want to talk about the FUNK!

When I talk about FUNK; I do NOT want you to associate a negative connotation to it. I want you to look at it as more of a reality that surfaces in your life more than looking at it as a rare occurrence. 

I also do NOT want you to think that any of this is my complaining, because I am really not. I'm writing about a REALITY. I am writing about that funky friend that hangs around and adds to your life and teaches you things. It is the best noun I can come up with, for the "thing" that we get from walking and working through our daily experiences. It is FUNK because it is ALWAYS uncomfortable. 

For example, TODAY my allergies are REALLY working me over. I very rarely have allergies flare up and I have things to do and I stopped myself as I getting ready to beat myself up and called it what it was. OWNED the funky reality that I just don't feel good and the BEST thing is to pivot. What did I learn about this ABNORMALITY to my day-to-day life? 

1) I feel bad and when I feel bad I am less productive. 

2) Knowing that I need to refine, delegate, & reschedule my work plans. Do what I can & ACCEPT that reality......which is FUNKY for me. 

3) Ultimately.....THIS FUNK is teaching me how to STOP running into a brick wall over and over again. Accept it. Turn away from the wall. Go in another direction. 


The other day, I had a WONDERFUL day. I could see how things were lining up, working out and noticing the PROGRESS towards my goals. Then, the FUNK of not knowing what to do with that feeling made me uncomfortable. It made me aware. It frustrated me, but it also TAUGHT ME. It taught me: 

1) This feeling is my new reaction to good things. 

2) I need to acknowledge it, feel it, and keep moving past it. It is a symbol of change that, although uncomfortable, is a sign of progress and that makes me very happy, optimistic, & encouraged.


Another example (because they really are helping me paint the picture): I am trying to change and adjust processes. I have taken steps towards that adjustment and those steps are causing AGITATION in me. I know the agitation is a product (FUNK) of change and implementation. What do I now know? 

1) I am going to feel agitated if I implement steps in reaching the goals I set for myself. 

2) I should welcome the agitation because that means change is happening and....although uncomfortable, I'm taking the right steps to transform my life. 


The outcome of ALL of these examples is: FUNK is here to stay. It is a welcome, yet annoying friend that hangs with me on the journey. 

If you are going to stick with your goal of creating positive change in your life, you may as well BUCK UP BABY & get used to feeling FunKy!

The other thought that is sticking with me is:.......if you are NOT a small business owner, but find yourself experiencing the remnants of the funk when you are around certain people......EXTEND GRACE. We could work for BIG business, but YOU CHOOSE US because we have that little something special that BIG businesses do not have. To get to experience that SPECIAL, you will also have to EXPERIENCE THE FUNK with us. 




No comments:

Post a Comment