She Made Her Wishes Clear
How a real estate agent and an auctioneer worked together to carry them out
Her real estate agent was helping with the property and brought me in to handle the personal-property liquidation. We were serving the same client through different parts of one transition. The real estate agent was not simply waiting for the house to be emptied, and I was not simply arriving to sell the contents. We both needed to understand the client's direction and help carry it out.
She Put Her Direction in Writing
Her real estate agent helped coordinate the printing, delivery, and return of the revised agreement. The client personally signed it before the medical crisis that followed. That sequence mattered. Her instructions did not come from family memory or from what someone believed she probably wanted. They came from her, in writing, while she was directing her own affairs.
Then Her Circumstances Changed
The client later suffered a stroke and was hospitalized. A person acting under her durable power of attorney stepped into the situation with different expectations about what would happen, what would be removed, and whether the auction would continue.
Pressure changed the temperature quickly. Other professionals involved became uncertain about whether we should proceed. I understood the concern, but I also understood my responsibility. My client had reviewed the plan, strengthened the language herself, signed the agreement, and explained the same wishes during a recorded interview.
Before the meeting, I consulted an experienced auction advisor. Then I sat down with the person acting under the power of attorney and another individual who had been present for the client interview. I read the client's written direction aloud. I asked whether the witness remembered her saying the same thing during the interview. When his answer was uncertain, I explained that we had the recording and could play it.
The conversation changed. We agreed that a limited number of items could be removed, with the contractual commission still paid on those items. The auction moved forward as the client had directed.
The Client Was Still the Client
That moment reinforced something I never want to forget. A power of attorney can authorize another person to act, but the existence of that authority did not erase the signed agreement or the living client's clearly documented wishes. The documents matter. The timing matters. The client's own voice matters.
The auction took place while she was still alive. My job was not to decide which family member sounded strongest or which professional felt most nervous. My job was to carry out the agreement I had made with my client, within the authority and professional guidance available to me.
Authority Shifted After Her Death
After the client died, the legal setting changed. Her durable power of attorney ended at death, and the administration of her estate became a probate matter. Her will was contested, assets were frozen, and I ultimately sent the auction proceeds to a court-controlled account while the dispute was addressed.
That did not make the earlier auction agreement meaningless. It did mean the proceeds had to be handled according to the new legal instructions governing the estate. We preserved the client's direction during her life, completed the work she authorized, and then respected the court process after her death.
What Effective Collaboration Looked Like
The real estate agent identified a need outside the traditional listing and brought in an auction professional. She helped move the revised agreement between the client and me. I interviewed the client, built the liquidation plan, documented her instructions, and conducted the auction. When later events created uncertainty, the written agreement and recorded conversation gave everyone something more reliable than memory, pressure, or personality.
Collaboration did not mean that every professional felt equally confident at every moment. It meant our work had been grounded in the same client's direction. When circumstances changed, we could return to the documents and the client's own words instead of letting the loudest person redefine the plan.
What I Carry Forward
This experience changed the way I think about transitions involving real estate and personal property. Families often call us during illness, incapacity, death, downsizing, or conflict. Those conditions can shift authority quickly, and people can behave differently when they believe control has moved.
The best protection begins before the crisis. Ask the client what they want. Put the answer in writing. Make the contract specific enough to guide the professionals who may have to act later. Preserve the supporting communication. Know where the auctioneer's role ends and when the broker, title company, attorney, or court must step in.
A real estate agent and an auctioneer may handle different property, use different methods, and work under different licenses. When we serve the same person, however, the client's documented direction should remain at the center of both relationships.
A Note for Readers
This article shares practical experience from auction and real estate work in Texas. It is not legal advice. Powers of attorney, probate authority, title requirements, and inheritance depend on the documents and facts of each matter. Involve the appropriate broker, title professional, and attorney early.
Texas resources referenced Texas Estates Code Chapter 751 | Texas Estates Code Chapter 256
No comments:
Post a Comment