Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Reflections from Scottish Rite Children's Hospital

The Texas Auctioneer Association board recently had a meeting. This meeting was held at the Texas Scottish Rite Children's Hospital in Dallas. We had our board meeting on Sunday & then some of us stayed over on Monday for the annual Toy Auction held there for some of the patients. After the toy auction, which was SUCH a wonderful experience, the hospital held a luncheon for us & had a wonderful speaker that shared his testimony with all of us. His name is Desmond.

I have to tell you....he connected some dots for me. One of the things that struck me was when he talked about how the hospital cared for the SPIRIT of the children there & he elaborated more on how they nurtured his spirit specifically. I identified with what he had to say on: a mom level, parent level, faith level.....(regarding some of the things I wrestle the most with God about), professional level, public service level....and a level of basic humanity. I won't share details on each one. Those may need to be reserved for another blog post, or maybe a one-on-one conversation with anyone that is interested. The bottom line is we all need people that care to make the effort.

For someone who was born with all their limbs, just thinking about his journey may overwhelm you. I have to say when he stood up there to share it, he really made it sound like he played the cards he was dealt & he was surrounded by a mighty good army of influencers to get him there. This man....born with no hands...painted the painting he is pictured with, along with many others, graduated with a Bachelors & Masters degree, taught at a university, is married with a precious daughter and now works at the hospital that helped him so much. Getting from Point A (aka birth) to Point B (present day) he had to face AND overcome a lot of struggles, silence a lot of naysayers & literally had to BUCK UP & keep going.



One of the areas that I've reflected on since his speech is my role as a Board of Director for the Texas Auctioneer Association. Sunday made for a lengthy, intense, and thorough meeting. We discussed A LOT & I am quite proud to be serving on this board for this organization.

When I was nominated I had just committed to the CAI program (3 year advanced auction education program), was REALLY focusing on growing my real estate business and was adding online auctions to the services we offer. Truth be known, I had no idea I was being nominated, but when I was asked if I accepted the nomination I couldn't say no. I couldn't say no because I knew the struggles and trials I went through growing my business. I knew what I wished I would've known sooner. I knew how much the TAA & it's members helped support me, many not knowing it. I knew I was going to be in this industry & the growth and development of the industry as a whole, was going to be important to my own personal success, as well as many others. I am passionate about EVERY segment of this industry & believe they are all essential. I could be of service and I cared, so I accepted the nomination. THANKS to Lance for nominating me & the members for voting me in.


The job isn't easy & it takes all of us to make the whole that fairly represents our industry. As members, you have people that care & do make the effort & every time you vote be sure you are voting for someone who cares enough to make the effort. If YOU care enough to get involved somehow, I encourage you to reach out and discuss the possibility of joining a committee.

I also want to express how PROUD I am of our Champions. The joy Kyle, Tyler, & Si brought to those littles & the way they represented the Live Auction Method of Marketing was spot on! Way to be! There was one little boy that seemed down when they wheeled him in in his bed & he didn't really "want" any of the toys, but once he caught the auction excitement he was raising that bidder card with a smile across his face & had a pile of toys piled up around him.


PHOTO CRED: SCOTTISH RITE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL
To our membership, we care about your SPIRIT. We care when you are at the brink of calling it quits because what you are doing isn't working. We care when someone tells you you can't do something. We care that you have the tools and information you need to run your business. We care about the laws surrounding our industry. We care about how we interact with other industries. We care about providing the opportunity for fundamental education. We care about hearing from you & what YOU need.

Another thing that Desmond said was that the hospital would ask his mother at each check up: "What is he trying to do now?" "What is he struggling with now?" At every stage of your business...if you keep going... there will be a new struggle or something you are trying that you haven't before. Please tell us what that is. We care enough to put in the effort. You will have to do your part, just like Desmond did, but we want to support you & help you get the tools you need NOW.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone! I encourage our members to reach out and get involved, even if you aren't sure how & I encourage anyone that isn't a member to consider becoming one. Being a member of the Texas Auctioneer Association has opened up numerous opportunities & created solid friendships for me, that give me fuel to keep going. Buck Up Baby, enjoy your people, & never close your circle to new people or new experiences. God bless!

Heather Kaspar
TXL 17037

No comments:

Post a Comment