Friday, October 12, 2012

Holy Moly I'm Gettin' Roly Poly :).

Holy Moly...I know....It's been another month. I'll eventually get back on track, with my blog posts.

I plan on gettin' ya'll up to date on all the goins' on & auction business, baby business, and whatever else I want to throw in here.

First of all...I've done a few auctions, since the last blog, so I'll share with ya what I learned from them & all the fun & NOT SO FUN festivities that went with it.

The auction I did right after my last blog was for the Aransas County 4-H Livestock Club. It was a GREAT little fundraiser. It wasn't a lot of items, but let me tell ya...I think I got every penny outta those folks that I could. I have to claim a few bragging rights :). The highest baked item they sold last year was $65. This year we had several hit the $100+ mark. It was funny. At first, when I would try to get the bidders name after buying an item, I'd get responses like "Stupid" - for paying so much for a pie. I know some people can't wrap their heads around it, but this little club has 7 or so kids that raise animals. It's not like Fayette County where MOST of the kids are involved, & these kiddos bust their butts with their livestock projects and are developing skills that make them VERY well-rounded individuals. In my opinion it makes you anything but stupid to support a great group of kids/cause/organization. I'm sure we've all spent money on much worse.

Thank you Jimmie Knarvek for the photos!

The entire floor @ Paws & Taws, with some of the kiddos helping out.
Nonetheless...by the time we rolled on with the auction people changed their frame of mind. Lesson for ANYONE putting on ANY kind of auction. No matter what you or a donor think something is worth - It has to be worth it to the bidders in your audience. If you don't have a crowd that understands art...it'll be hard to get what it's "worth." Learn your audience and think about items they would like OR find other avenues to advertise the items that are not for the majority. All it takes is 2 bidders that want what you've got, BUT...they have to know about it.

I got to sell all kinds of neat stuff like: a cowboy hat signed by George Stait (boy...you shoulda seen the comotion it caused :)), welding projects made by the kids, and all kinds of goodies. Plus...I left there with a Smoker & a bunch of BEEF!!! You'll never guess how....


I guessed the weight of one of these here Market Goats :) (The red & white one). That's right! 74 lbs 8oz.... Only 1 oz off from the ACTUAL weight. SKILLS!!!

I had another auction. This one....let's just say...was a learning experience. They had the auction "advertised, organized, and handled." They just needed an auctioneer. Well....it was NOT organized the way I would've done it. In fact....It's made me look at things in a WHOLE new perspective.

Folks, YOU GET WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT. IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING....HIRE SOMEONE WHO DOES. You can raise a lot more money by doing things right. There was NO CASHIER TABLE set up, NO SPOTTERS (except who I wrangled together), NO ACCURATE INFORMATION on some of the items up for auction. On top of that the items that I was SUPPOSED to sell were put into a raffle.

By all means. We raised some money & it was more than what they had before, BUT...I don't like things done half way. SO MUCH MORE MONEY COULD HAVE BEEN RAISED & it FRUSTRATES me....if you couldn't tell. Auctions are busy, fast-paced environments and stuff happens, BUT if you have all your stations set up the way you need them - the more efficient everything will be.

From now on....if I have ANY inkling that they don't have it together...I'm not doing it. None of what happened was in my hands AT ALL, but I left FRUSTRATED & ANNOYED because it could have been SO much better. If you are not going to place any importance on an auction....DON'T DO ONE & focus on what you do find important. This group had an AMAZING OPPORTUNITY to raise money for their cause, but didn't ask the right questions to the right people. LIVE AUCTIONS at fundraising events are often the #1 MONEYMAKING element...

One person told me they expected the auction to bring more. When you take items like: Flat Screen TVs, Shotguns, Metal Art, etc.... & put them in a raffle and leave me to sell baskets packed with small things (like candles & lotion) & don't have them displayed where the bidders can see them & have incorrect information on some items - all I can do is try and get the most money that someone is willing to give. Also, if you are going to tell a donor that you are going to auction off their item & then - you move it to some other fundraising function, you should definately let them know.

I'm finished with my rant. On to more organized functions :)...

I just called bids at the annual Ledbetter Fireman's Feast. Those folks have it together. Nothing beats these little small towns where I grew up. REALLY...I mean that. Overwhelming support & a GREAT bunch of people. They even put steps beside the trailer, so I could haul my ROLY POLY self on up there :).
Me calling bids, Uncle Mele & Mr. Larry Nickel watching the crowd.

Uncle Mele callin' bids & me bein' all pregnant, being emcee & watchin' the crowd.
Hey! Hey! One more thing....being 8 months pregnant doesn't stop me! Here I am with some of my Gal Pals at the 2012 Fall Junk Prom :). No CrAzY shenannigans this time & I headed to the house a little earlier than usual, but still had a BLAST. Junk Gypsies need to open up that store ALREADY :)!
Shannon, Kacie, Little Britches Kylee, & Myself & Baby Heath in the Chandelier tent :).
Shannon, Me, Chelsey, & Kacie @ Zapp Hall.
If you need some help judging the weight of market livestock, selling baked goods, puttin' an auction together, or gettin' all GLAMMED up for Junk Prom...shoot me an email, leave me a comment, give me a call. More EXCITEMENT to come...if you can believe it.......

BUCK UP BABY & Do your best to do it RIGHT or don't do it at all!

-Heather Schoenst Kaspar
TXL#17037

No comments:

Post a Comment